The selection of an Essay Topic is the first and the most defining step of writing a good essay.
We will write a custom Article on Academic Writing. Selecting an Essay Topic specifically for you
301 certified writers online
Quite often, assignments are given out in which the student is asked to write an essay on any topic that he/she wishes to write on as long as they are related to a particular subject. Generally, assignments such as these are extra credit assignments, and the student is asked to write quite lengthy essays. When choosing an essay topic to write an essay, it is important to keep in mind the fact that the essay has to have a theme and a central thesis to it. Almost no piece of text that you compose can be regarded as credible until it has a thesis to it. The thesis, in essence, provides the essay with the theme around which it centres. However, the essay topic has to be one that is of personal interest to the writer. Most people choose their essay topics without giving much regard to their own personal interest with regard to the essay topic. In cases like these, the selection of the essay topic becomes the first mistake performed by the student. An essay topic should be chosen with the following factors in mind.
- The essay topic must be one on which the author can competently write.
- The essay topic has to be one with which the author has little if not more experience.
- Research should be carried out before establishing the essay topic to ensure that it is an adequate topic.
- The essay topic should not be exaggeratingly easy.
- The essay topic should be in adherence to the academic level of the writer.
By keeping factors such as those mentioned above in mind, a student can ensure that the essay topic chosen is one on which an adequate and satisfactory essay can be written.