The Cask of Amontillado essay is an exciting opportunity to express your point of view on such problems like drugs and alcohol use, violence, revenge, and share your opinion on horror fiction.
Why Should You Write The Cask of Amontillado Paper?
There are three arguments to choose this short story for your critical review or literary analysis.
First of all, you should acknowledge that Edgar Allan Poe is an inventor of the detective and science fiction genres. He highlighted the worst human features like vindictiveness, drug addictions, fear, etc.
Second, the horror genre is still popular in the modern culture. Scary tales always were an excellent way to express personal and social anxieties over various problems.
Third, Poe’s novels are easy to read but still complicated. You have to focus on details to get the whole picture. Moreover, each time you read the novel you can find new aspects that you might have missed before (Tip: check our The Cask of Amontillado essay examples to find new ideas you haven’t even considered yet).
The Cask of Amontillado Essay Questions
Finding the right paper topic can become a daunting task. That’s why we prepared a bunch of ideas for your The Cask of Amontillado essay topics.
Check them below:
- Why does the author uses the first-person view narration? Think how different the novel could be if it was told from the Fortunato or the third-person point of view.
- Do you sympathize Fortunato or think that he deserved his fate? Explain your opinion.
- Consider writing your The Cask of Amontillado essay thesis on alcohol and alcohol abuse. Could Fortunato escape his fate if he was sober and not addicted to alcohol?
- Compare the revenge and villain in the Poe’s novel to a modern short stories. Would Montresor dare to commit this crime in XXI century? Find analogies in a modern literature and movie production.
- Compare this novel and to Poe’s The Black Cat. Think which novel is the darkest of his writings and provide your arguments.
- Analyse the role of scenery in the plot. Is there a connection between characters’ fate and scenery?
- How our actions and decisions influence our destiny? Analyze why Fortunato decided to taste the amontillado. Could he refuse? Did he have a chance to escape?
- Analyze why trapping Fortunato still not makes Montresor free. Why even 50 years after Fortunato’s death Montresor is still feeling angry.
- Explore the theme of mortality in Poe’s novel. Does it make you think about your own death? Express your thoughts.
- How do the way the murder was commited influences the reader’s comprehension of the story? Would the story differ if Montresor chose another way to kill Fortunado?
- Imagine if Montresor was a woman. How would it change the comprehension of the novel? Are there any signs that Montresor can be a woman?
- Explain, why did Montresor choose family catacomb for a murder. How do you feel about the descriptions of the crime scene?
- Analyze Fortunato’s dressings. Why is he dressed as a fool? Are there features of his character that contradict his image?
Now you have a lot of point to explore in your paper. If you are still not sure how to write The Cask of Amontillado essay outline, you can always check our examples to get inspiration on the topics and paper structure.