Defining the Key Terms
Several important terms in the paper are worth paying closer attention to. According to the existing definitions, the terms below can be interpreted in the following way:
We will write a custom Essay on Burj Khalifa: Behind A Wall of Text specifically for you
301 certified writers online
- A spire is a sharp pointy element at the top of a building
- Reflective may be interpreted in several ways:thoughtful; able to reflect
- Recreation facilities mean places to have rest and fun on
- To enable means to make something capable of something
- Inauguration can be defined as the opening ceremony.
- Residential is the one in which a person can live (as opposed to the place where office premises re located).
- A sky lobby is the hall of a skyscraper.
What the Terms Refer to
- The terms and words highlighted in the paper refer to the following words:
- “Measuring” refers to the Dubai Burj Khalifa and denotes its height.
- “Situated” refers to the Dubai Burj Khalifa and denotes its position.
- “Designed” refers to the Dubai Burj Khalifa (impressive skyscraper).
- “Which” refers to 162 floors.
- “This” refers to the fact that Burj was built for residential purposes; i.e., “this fact.”
- “Its” (parking spaces and elevators) refers to the Dubai Burj Khalifa.
- “Its” (exterior) refers to the Dubai Burj Khalifa.
- “These” refers to reflective glass panels of the Burj Khalifa.
Concerning Three Main Ideas
The paper incorporates several key ideas. Three of them are described below.
Location and dimensions of the Burj Khalifa
Starting, appropriately enough, with the description of the place in which the Burj Khalifa located, the author of the article provides not only a brief mentioning of the specifics of the area, such as the man-made lake, which the building is situated on, but also the numerical data concerning the Burj Khalifa.
For instance, the author mentions that the building is 828 meters high, that its top can be spotted 95 meters away and that the building is almost twice as high as the famous New York Empire State Building, which is only 443 meters high. Therefore, it can be concluded that the first topic raised by the author is “Location and dimensions of Burj Khalifa.”
Internal features of the Burj Khalifa
One must admit that the author of the article provides a very detailed description of the Burj Khalifa’s interior. When reading the article, one can feel inside the Burj Khalifa. Indeed, the images of office floors, sky lobbies and swimming pools literally come to life. While the article does not mention the exterior much, only saying that it is covered with glass, the insides of the building are depicted in a very graphic manner.
Materials and construction of the Burj Khalifa
The author of the article also provides a very detailed description of the material, which the Burj Khalifa was made of. Therefore, the third and the final theme that the author touches upon can be referred to as “materials and construction of the Burj Khalifa.”
According to what the author says, to create the building, more than 330,000 cubic meters of concrete was required. In addition, in the course of building the place, 31,400 metric tons of steel was used. As for the exterior of the building, which has also been mentioned in the article briefly, 28.261 reflective glass panels cover the walls on the outside.
The author also mentions the issues that are related to the specifics of the building construction, such as the fact that 15,000 liters of water are collected from the air conditioning system annually. Later used for gardening purposes, this is quite an impressive amount of water, the author says.