When analyzing the relationship between Hamlet and his mother, one can note that even at a young age, the Oedipus complex manifests in the boy, which reflects a number of his conflicting experiences about his father. These experiences are based on an unconscious craving for mother and jealousy. According to Freud’s concept, sexuality manifests itself extremely early in children, and a mother is the closest object of adoration on the part of her son. Since boys at this age live by the principle of pleasure, ignoring reality until the stage of growing up, their desires are sometimes quite active. Hamlet is unconsciously inhibited by his internal memory of hatred for his father and lust for his mother. As a result, his tense relations with his father-killer may be interpreted from the position of unconscious love for the closest person and the desire to protect her at all costs from palace intrigues and conspiracies.
Need a custom Essay sample written from scratch by
professional specifically for you?
certified writers online
IvyPanda. (2021, June 12). Freud and Hamlet’s Relationship with His Mother. Retrieved from https://ivypanda.com/essays/freud-and-hamlets-relationship-with-his-mother/
"Freud and Hamlet’s Relationship with His Mother." IvyPanda, 12 June 2021, ivypanda.com/essays/freud-and-hamlets-relationship-with-his-mother/.
1. IvyPanda. "Freud and Hamlet’s Relationship with His Mother." June 12, 2021. https://ivypanda.com/essays/freud-and-hamlets-relationship-with-his-mother/.
IvyPanda. "Freud and Hamlet’s Relationship with His Mother." June 12, 2021. https://ivypanda.com/essays/freud-and-hamlets-relationship-with-his-mother/.
IvyPanda. 2021. "Freud and Hamlet’s Relationship with His Mother." June 12, 2021. https://ivypanda.com/essays/freud-and-hamlets-relationship-with-his-mother/.
IvyPanda. (2021) 'Freud and Hamlet’s Relationship with His Mother'. 12 June.
- The Adoration of the Shepherds by Andrea Mantegna
- Comparing and Contrasting Duccio’s and Raphael’s ‘Adoration of the Magi’
- "The Psychoanalytic Hamlet" by Ernest Jones
- Oedipus the King and Hamlet
- Blindness in Oedipus Rex & Hamlet
- A Critical Analysis of Hamlet's Constant Procrastination in Shakespeare’s Hamlet
- A Play "Hamlet" by William Shakespear
- Depression and Melancholia Expressed by Hamlet
- Oedipus Rex and Hamlet Compare and Contrast Essay
- Forensic Psychology, Its Tasks and Importance
- Psychology: Factors of Success in Life and Career
- Mental Health Issues Identification in Schools
- Success Factors: Psychological Research Findings
- Interpersonal Effectiveness and Its Assessment