With the current rise of domestic violence cases around the world, it is very important to undertake a program for providing therapy to women who have suffered the ordeal. As much as there are many probable proposals for the same, the use of art therapy is much effective. This is because art therapy does not involve verbal intervention as many women find it difficult to express their feelings and experiences on domestic violence in verbal form.
We will write a custom Report on Art Therapy With Women Who Have Suffered Domestic Violence specifically for you
301 certified writers online
A good therapy proposal should be based on its ability to get the women to relieve away their secret pains and mental trauma. Art therapy includes a more indigenous perspective of practice rather than the modern psychological approach. Art therapy is very significant in the healing process of any type of abuse especially on women who have been faced with domestic violence.
One of the most significant benefits of art therapy is the fact the patients get to understand and interpret their own situations which puts them in a better position to creatively participate in own healing process and in a culturally accepted manner. Art therapy also allows room for creativity pursuits which keeps the participants in an active state.
This helps drive away the experience and trauma associated with it. Through art therapies, participants are able to share their experiences with each other and this gives them the hope of living positively. Besides sharing of abuse experiences, community members are able to meet and share knowledge and skills with the possibility of engaging in community building through art practice. Art therapy is a safe way of relieving oneself from depression and other symptoms of mental disturbances.
A good proposal for art therapy on women faced with domestic violence should have all services consolidate into the following:
- A comfortable and safe accommodation for those who flee their homes due to domestic violence,
- Constant support and advice for the victims
- Established services such as sporting activities and amenities, materials for other socio-cultural practices.
Besides the three core provisions, a well established art therapy program should have national recognition through employment of professionals at all levels. Since such programs have a great number of volunteers, providing professional services to them would be an ideal conduit towards the success of the program. Financial resources need to be well developed since these programs get most financial help through fund raising and charities. A good management and/or leader are equally important in these programs.
Amongst the services which should be provided in an ideal art therapy center should include;
- Counseling services by professional psychologists to provide clear understanding of the victim’s situations
- Recreational activities where the actual art therapy comes in. this should not only involve sporting activities but also other activities such as weaving, gardening, bead and clay making and other recreational activities especially those that interest women most since most victims of domestic violence are women even though some men may fall as victims as well.
- Occasional shows to present and celebrate the arts that the participants have made. This may as well involve giving presents, if necessary and affordable.
The main aim of art therapy on women faced with domestic violence is not only to help them in the healing process, but also to empower them through practice as well as providing them with safe and caring environments to work out their experiences.