We will write a custom Essay on Toolkits Used in Cybercrime specifically for you
301 certified writers online
Many organizations can access high-tech mobile devices today. This has improved the way they use internet in their operations. However, this has increased their vulnerability to internet crime. Mobile technology has enabled many organizations to carry out their activities via the devices.
The mobile content in many cases has led to loss of privacy and integrity for many organizations. In addition, organizations’ data and important information have leaked to the public. In order to be safe from these threats, the organizations should avoid installing new applications to their phones without verifying their legitimacy.
Many of these applications in the market are designed by scammers with intention of corrupting the highly secured phones. Moreover, the organizations should use mobile phones that are secured. iPhones are among the recommended mobile phones. This is because the risk can be mitigated.
Toolkits and Why They Should Concern Organizations
Toolkit is a means or channel through which cybercrime is committed. Cybercriminals use toolkits in different scenarios including malware attacks. In this case they infect search engines. Toolkits also help the cybercriminals by automating the processes such as web page creation. Examples of toolkits include XRumer, ZeuS and uMaxSoft Doorway Generator.
Toolkit should be of concern to organizations because they can be used to produce keywords for sites. This poses a risk to the organizations whose data can be found on their sites. Toolkits are also used to spread spam. For example it has been used to spread it through twitter. Organizations should protect themselves by using the latest updates on their software.
Avoiding providing information without verifying the source of request is another way to protect an organization from scams. In addition the organizations should be on the look out to avoid responding to insecure emails, installing corrupted software and other malicious activities.
Recently Reported Phishing Trends
|Type of phishing||percentage|
Phishing scams continue to take different dimensions. Web attacks increased in the year 2010 and 2011. Mobile phishing is also increasing with advancement in technology. Loss of finances through credit card has also been reported. This is because people are tricked into providing personal information that lead to loss of their money.
Recognizing Phishing Scams
- In phishing email the greeting line is generic while in legitimate email, it is personalized.
- Tone can also be used. That is, they ask you to follow their instructions urgently failure to which you will be responsible for the consequences thereafter.
- Always check the links and the URL’s. Their links and URL use tricks such as “@” symbol near the end of the address. The preceding character which is mostly ignored by the recipient give their actual address.
- Unlike legitimate mails, phishing emails may resemble websites.
- Phishing style of writing is not always formal. It includes spelling mistakes and poor grammar. This is to avoid spam filters.
- Regular use of pop-up boxes which is not common with legitimate companies is another way of recognizing phishing scams.
- You can also recognize a phishing scam if a company is claiming that you have an account with them and in the real sense you don’t have.
Thing to Do When Victimized By a Phishing Scam
- Report the crime once you suspect that another person is using your identity without your consent. The law enforcement agency will investigate the issue.
- In case the phishing scam concerns financial account, communicate with the financial institution as soon as possible. This will enable them to block any transaction hence protecting your money.
- Keep every record of transaction or information exchanged between you and the people phishing. This can be used as evidence and can also help trace them.
- To avoid the occurrence of the same, one can change passwords or block the account and reopen new one.