Normal and Special Procedures
- The service team meets regular flights.
- The President’s Security Service is called upon to meet the head of state.
- Regular flights with officials arrive as standard.
- The flight of the head of state arrives at the cordon area.
- During normal operations are not protected from different angles.
- Security forces guard the territory around the perimeter upon President’s arrival.
The procedure of ensuring the safety of heads of state at airports differs significantly from that maintained in the standard flight mode. The territory of arrival and departure is completely cordoned off, while in normal security operations, passengers are delivered to the aircraft in their usual way. Also, no special measures to protect people are carried out from different angles, but for meeting and seeing off President, the perimeter is guarded by a special security service that can quickly respond to any unforeseen situations. According to Youngblood, heads of state are always accompanied in separate processions and have totally protected transport, while ordinary passengers get to the place of boarding by standard buses (17). These measures are the most obvious, highlighting the differences in providing two security modes.
We will write a custom Presentation on Security Plan For Visiting Head of State specifically for you
807 certified writers online
- The President’s Security Service is involved.
- Transport is accompanied until arrival at the runway.
- Trained individuals are located around the perimeter.
- Arrivals and departures are monitored before and after boarding (see fig. 1).
- Communication is maintained among all security services.
Unlike standard security measures, meetings and seeing off heads of state are accompanied by tightened control. Aircraft are parked in a specially designated and guarded place, and no additional checks are carried out in a general manner. Security personnel are in clearly defined positions and have contact with one another to prevent any emergency. Both during arrivals and departures, service guards have clear instructions governing positioning on the take-off field. The transport delivering the heads of state to the plane is totally protected and does not allow light from outside, which allows for additional security and minimizes the threat of an attack.
- Security officers are armed and ready to use force.
- The tracking technique is used to detect suspicious objects.
- A separate and protected runway is utilized.
- Communication in and around the perimeter is conducted.
- Additional services on duty are outside the airport.
Comprehensive control is achieved by engaging additional security forces both inside the airport and beyond it. All the guards are equipped with the necessary protective equipment and have the highest security clearance, being on alert and having the authority to use weapons. To avoid unforeseen situations, a separate runway is allocated for meetings and seeing offs the heads of states. Security officers communicate with colleagues outside the airport and analyze the situation constantly. To preserve privacy and prevent unforeseen situations, the territory is guarded and supplemented in the vicinity of the airport by using special surveillance tools to monitor all the passenger activities.
- Accredited persons are allowed to meetings.
- Elite law enforcement agencies are brought in for the ceremony.
- Motorcades are located directly next to the plane.
- All the actions are clearly rehearsed in advance.
- Emergency duty on the runway is mandatory.
To comply with all the conventions of the meeting and seeing off ceremonies, the actions of the persons involved are strictly regulated and rehearsed. A festive atmosphere is maintained, and elite security services are engaged for this purpose. The Presidential motorcade should be located next to the runway since the transfer is to be performed made directly from the airport. A special path is prepared for arrivals and departures, and this section is guarded along its entire length. On the take-off field, emergency services should be on duty, and their employees are to have all the necessary resources in case of unforeseen situations.
Preliminary Security Measures
- The preparation of the transfer is thought out in advance.
- Responsible persons control the traffic and determine the optimal route.
- Ordinary passengers are not warned to keep meetings private.
- Pilots are aware of the rules for parking aircraft.
- Airport attendants undergo additional control.
As a preliminary security measure, work with the personnel involved is carried out, and the transfer is considered. The optimal route is to be determined in order to eliminate any traffic congestion to and from the airport. In order to prevent excessive excitement and maintain the confidentiality of top-level meetings, airport passengers are not warned about an upcoming event. Pilots transporting heads of states have special training and need to know where the aircraft should be located on the runway. All support staff, including regular airport employees, should undergo additional verification and admission to work on the day of the meeting.
Meeting Donald Trump. (2019). Web.
Youngblood, Rufus W. 20 Years in the Secret Service: My Life with Five Presidents. Greenleaf Book Group, 2018.