The federal government has done a lot in the way of making organizations that exist to help regulate and protect the health care consumer. These agencies are designed to manage the complicated tasks of ensuring quality products and services are provided to all health care consumers regardless of insurance coverage. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is one such agency. The CDC covers many areas of health, prevention, and safety. More specifically, we will be looking more closely at the monitoring and evaluation services. Please review this outline so that you may see what the CDC is all about and its importance to the overall health and well-being of our country.
We will write a custom Essay on The Center for Disease Control and Prevention specifically for you
301 certified writers online
The identity of the agency and the role of the governmental agency selected
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is an organization that aids and assists with local, state, and territorial agencies on health and disease awareness and prevention methods. According to (CDC 2013), the role of their organization is to be prepared, prevent, respond, and recovery any type of health outbreak related to diseases and other types of natural disasters. The following are the types of health issues and natural disasters the organization deals with and responds with.
CDC’s role with public health emergencies
Is providing information in the form of expert knowledge to aid and assist local and state authorities as well as a scientist to treat and form a plan of action with a health care crisis. This is done by funding the technical support, response and support, health preparedness and response, and organizational programs to educate (CDC 2013).
CDC’s role with public health action
Is to educate and isolate all locations of potential public health diseases. Such diseases are Salmonella, Influenza strains such as (H1N1), E-coli, Chicken Pox, Hepatitis (A, B, and C), Meals, Mumps, MRSA, and many other health diseases (CDC 2013). Once the disease is diagnoses and all locations are the disease is located, the CDC provides vaccinations and assists the media and all local and state agencies on how to prevent and get medical treatment of the exposed disease.
CDC’s role with public health threats
The organization’s role is to assist with all health organizations, with local and state authorities 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and this is done by the office of the Public Health Preparedness and Response (CDC 2013). This office of CDC deals with any public threats or outbreaks that can be harmful. One example is exposure to Anthrax and dealing with an outbreak of the substance. Other examples are hepatitis exposure and poor air quality/alerts.
The specific health care product or service category selected
Monitoring and Evaluation Service
The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention offers several vital services to the general public. This is done at both state and local levels. Some of these services Evaluation of the appropriate response towards the materialization of potential threats. Some of these services include monitoring, investigation, diagnostic and investigation, education, evaluation, and research (Center for Disease Control, 2012). The following is an outline for monitoring the services offered by the CDC.
An assessment of various aspects that have the potential to impact the overall health status of the community. Some of the specific aspects include:
- Identifying potential threats that concern the overall health status of the community (Center for Disease Control, 2012).
- Evaluation of the impacts that such threats are likely to cause, in case they materialize at the local level (Center for Disease Control, 2012), are very sensitive and hence should be checked.
- Evaluation of the appropriate response towards the materialization of potential threats should be considered.
- Identifying vulnerable groups in the community and an assessment of their exposure to some of the health risks can assist save these disadvantaged groups.
- Identifying any resources at the community’s disposure that can be of potential benefit concerning safeguarding the overall health status of the community.
- Deployment of appropriate technology, such as Global healthy analysis systems, that can aid in analyzing and assessing some of the health issues affecting the community (Center for Disease Control, 2012).
State Level Assessment
Assessment of the overall health status of the state includes:
- Identification of potential threats that might compromise the state’s overall health status as stated by (Gofin & Gofin 2010) in their book.
- Evaluation of the potential impact of the materialization of threats at the state level
- Evaluation of the appropriate responses or courses of actions, in case the threats materialize at the state level.
- Identification and analysis of data concerning the exposure of vulnerable groups at the state level (Gofin & Gofin, 2010).
- Identification of state resources that can potentially be employed for improving the health status of the state significantly.
- Deployment of technology to aid with statewide health analysis and assessment.
Your initial rationale for selecting this area of focus
Using grants and contracts, the CDC promotes health and quality of life by preventing and controlling disease, injury, and disability through health information dissemination, preparedness, prevention, research, and surveillance.
- CDC has government-funded programs that vary by state, but all provide safety measures to the public.
- Injuries are common in all states, but the reasoning for injuries varies because of the different geographies. First, there is establishing prevention methods and if it cannot be prevented putting in place controlling and strengthening through surveillance is used with Core Violence and Injury Prevention Program
- Domestic Violence Prevention Enhancement and Leadership through Alliance bring awareness to the community on battery, which involves one partner trying to controlling another.
- Many factors come into play leading up to sexual violence of a person. If it happens, they need to know that it is their fault and that there are people there to help.
- The health care industry conducts research on diseases, and the CDC provides assistance with making development into treatments and cures.
- Medical personnel are at risk of getting illnesses and injuries because of the potential for exposure working with patients. The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health conducts research to find ways of eliminating occupational diseases, injuries, and fatalities of personnel working in medical facilities.
- Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch is the primary unit in the CDC that conducts research on old and new pathogens. They pull tissue from patients that have been identified as having an infectious disease for research.
- The CDC has a website that can be used for preparing and responding to health emergencies. Not only does it keep them informed on health emergencies, but it gives information that could protect and save their lives.
- The Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication section gives valuable information on lessons learned from previous emergencies. It is used to make decisions on well being under time constraints.
In conclusion, the CDC is an integral part of the government overseeing our country’s health and well-being. This agency affects the health consumer on various levels from the basics of how to live a healthy life, prevent disease, be prepared for emergencies, and more. The CDC is an agency which most people only think of if there is an outbreak of an illness, but this agency is doing and is so much more to the communities than most realize. These people can help to shape the lifestyles and habits of people if properly implemented. The CDC helps to ensure that the services and products it provides are of high quality and are able to be flexible with the needs of the consumer in mind.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2013). Web.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2013). Saving Lives. Protecting People. Web.
Gofin, J., & Gofin, R. (2010). Essentials of Global Community Health. New York: Jones & Bartlett.
Get your first paper with 15% OFF
Prosser, T. (2010). The regulatory enterprise: Government, regulation, and legitimacy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.