Describe the communication process
Communication is the transfer of information from the sender to a receiver in an understandable manner using the most effective communication media at the disposal of the parties to the communication. During communication, the sender develops the idea in his or her mind, and then encodes the message to the form that can be transmitted through the available media of communication. On the other end, the receiver decodes the information from the medium of transmission and understands the message conveyed. For an effective communication process, the sender and the receiver must have a common language that can have some meaning, for instance they should have similar meanings to signs and symbols as language.
We will write a custom Critical Writing on Management Communication and Organizational Behavior specifically for you
301 certified writers online
Describe the conditions that foster the growth of a grapevine in an organization
An organization without an effective communication system that hinders the existence of anxiety in among employees is likely to have strong growth of grapevines as employees seek to understand their situation and the conditions they are living in the company. Negative organizational culture and existence of informal groups lead by strong opinion leaders can lead to the growth of roomers and facilitate the growth of grapevine in the organization.
When managers and their employees fail to talk freely and the policies seem to be awkward, the growth of grapevine can almost be guaranteed.
What are the differences between leadership and management?
The main difference between leadership and management is the approach taken by either; leadership involves team leader pioneering operations involving his team members in decision making and ensuring that an orchestrate team with common destiny has been developed. In leadership, the leader uses his own example to motivate team members attain corporate goals and objectives; communication is two way and feedback highly appreciated.
In management, the style inclines more on offering instructions and orders that team members should follow to attain the sets goals; the main task that managers are concerned with is the control, monitoring and ensuring there is surveillance in the projects they are managing. Communication is mostly from the manager to the team members.
Contrast transformational with transactional leaders
Transactional leader are leaders who ensure that results have been attained through a reciprocity h system, under the system, the leaders gives clear instruction for the way forward and the employees expect some reward after they have met the set goals and objectives, the rewards include promotion salaries, and wages.
In Transformational leadership, the leaders are more concerned with engagement of hearts and souls of employees to ensure that they feel a sense of belonging and are self motivated; under the style achievement is attributed to the efforts made by team members.
Define the five bases of power
Power can be described to have five main bases as:
- Coercive Power: it involves the power to force someone do something that he does not want to do.
- Reward Power: this is the ability to motivate other perform a certain task from the motivation created by the reward that the person will get.
- Legitimate Power: this is the power given by the structure of a society or an organization
- Referent Power: this is the charisma and role modeling power where people feel they can follow a certain person who have attained something worth copying
- Expert Power: this is the ability to control things if one has a certain intellectualism not common with other people.
List the three questions that can help determine if a political action is ethical
When making political decisions as well as acting on them, leaders need to evaluate whether there are ethical or not, the following questions can assist them:
- Was the action meant to benefit the larger population?, if yes then it is ethical.
- Will the result of the decision or action result to public injury? If yes then the decision is not ethical.
- What is the general net effect of the decision, if negative, then the decision is unethical.