We will write a custom Essay on Parking Planning Policy Framework for Abu Dhabi specifically for you
301 certified writers online
Parking is an important element of a transportation system in any city globally. Commuters and residents need to park when they reach their destinations. Typically, vehicles spend much time in the parking lot, which causes high demands for parking spaces in cities. Therefore, there is a need for every city to provide parking convenience for residents and commuters. It affects the ease of reaching a place and overall accessibility of a city.
However, in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi, availability of parking spaces has become a major challenge for commuters and residents.
A lack of adequate parking facilities in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi has resulted in massive economic losses in terms of costs and time for commuters and residents. Moreover, the Department of Transport Abu Dhabi must handle various parking conflicts, which city designers, planners, operators and other authorities face. In most cases, the two broad categories of these problems are supply and management. Supply challenges indicate few parking spaces available for commuters and residents. Hence, there is a need to build more facilities. On the other hand, management problems show that the available parking spaces are not used efficiently. Thus, they require better management solutions.
In this report, the researcher will focus on an Integrated Parking Planning Policy Framework as a management solution to parking problems in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi. A management solution would offer robust strategic planning strategies and objectives for effective management of the commercial centre parking facilities.
Many vehicles in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi and on roads have resulted into a severe shortage of parking spaces. Consequently, the few available parking facilities cannot meet the growing demands. At the same time, poor management of the available parking facilities in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi due to a lack of an integrated parking planning policy framework has also escalated the problem. Hence, commuters and residents have experienced massive economic losses in terms of monetary costs and time.
This study will adopt a mixed methods design to collect primary qualitative and quantitative data from city residents and parking management experts from the Department of Transport Abu Dhabi or Mawaqif. In addition, secondary data will be gathered from existing literature that demonstrates the best practices in managing parking facilities. The survey shall focus on the current supply of parking spaces and demands during peak periods in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi. Therefore, the study shall concentrate on specific parking needs of the commercial centre.
Proposed Method to Solve the Problem
A management approach has been suggested in this study to solve the problem of poor parking planning and management in the commercial centre Abu Dhabi. The proposed solution is an Integrated Parking Planning Policy Framework to enhance strategic management of the available parking spaces for efficient usages and maximum benefits to commuters and residents.
An Implementation Plan
The researcher will propose an implementation plan for the proposed solutions based on the outcome of the study.
An Evaluation Plan
The framework will be evaluated to determine its impacts on efficiency in management of available parking spaces, costs and benefits to commuters, residents and parking management authorities.
It is intended that an Integrated Parking Planning Policy Framework will provide long-term solutions to parking space shortages and poor management within the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi. The project would propose effective methods of utilising the available parking spaces and identify high demand zones for constructing new parking areas. This would enhance efficiency in managing parking lots in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi. The ultimate goal of the framework is to ensure that there are adequate parking lots for Abu Dhabi commuters and residents. On this note, some of the benefits expected once the outcomes have been implemented would be the following:
- The outcome would provide both short-term and long-term benefits in terms of time and cost saving, reduce costs of developing new facilities and enhance affordability
- The framework will address root causes of a shortage of parking spaces in Abu Dhabi and provide relevant recommendations, encourage commuters and residents to use alternative means of transport and reduce reliance on motor vehicle
- The framework will ensure effective use of parking spaces, control land use in the city centre and regulate both public and private parking practices, provide many user options and quality parking services and smart develop in the commercial centre
- Ensure that the provided guidelines are effectively implemented by Mawaqif authorities
- The city authority would maximise parking charges to enhance effective utilisation of high demand parking zones, although the aim would not be to maximise profits from parking facilities
- Enhance the number of parking beneficiaries in any given location and accommodate new parking needs and respond to immediate demands with alternative parking approaches
- Introduce and control city residents parking zones and schemes
- Work with city development experts to ensure effective use of the commercial city square
- Increase the number of parking zones in the identified high demand areas, such as Tourist Club areas and office districts
- Enhance traffic flow and reduce congestion in the commercial centre of Abu Dhabi
- Maximise utilisation of underground parking spaces
- Ensure that new buildings have adequate parking zones for residents