General purpose: To understand and information.
We will write a custom Research Paper on Why Beautiful Women Prefer Unattractive Men specifically for you
807 certified writers online
Sprecific purpose: Why beautiful women resist the stereotype that beautiful women only marry attractive men as per the understanding of professionals in the field of interpersonal communication.
Central idea: Beautiful women consider inner traits more than the superficiality of physical attractiveness.
Beauty begets beauty. Have you ever heard that before? Most often it refers to a beautiful woman ending up with a good looking/handsome guy. But does that really apply in real life?
Dubner wrote the article Why Do Beautiful Women Sometimes Marry Unattractive Men? in order to discuss research by Satoshi Kanazawa wherein he indicated that women have a propensity to choose unattractive men only because of the law of supply and demand. This means that there are simply more attractive women than men. In reality, there are more valid reasons for such a pairing. In my opinion, there is actually a complimentary scenario going on these days that fuel such mismatched marriages. If we go by the reasoning that Dubner quoted from Kanazawa, it will be difficult to understand why these mismatched love pairs often end up married.
- Why women do not give weight to physical attraction.
- What do women really consider when looking for a life partner.
Why women do not give weight to physical attraction
According to Von Pfetten (2008) women tend to have passed through an Ugly Duckling stage during their childhood and adult years, causing those whom they considered being attractive men to reject them:
- According to Von Pfetten (2008), such rejection is often carried by women all their lives and therefore serves as one of the bases for the relationships they seek. By seeking out a complementary relationship with a less attractive or ugly male, women feel that they risk less rejection, and the ugly men, who in turn have been rejected by attractive women early on, seek more of complementing relationship with them. The ugly men give the attractive women a sense of completion in their relationship and vice versa.
- At some point during a relationship between a good-looking man and woman, they will tire of the physicality of the attraction and then seek out a deeper meaning in their relationship. One that will actually help them complement each other. Through a complementary relationship, as in between a beautiful woman and an ugly man, the shortcomings of each person are instead filled in by the other partner, resulting in a complementing style of relationship.
Dubner stated that Kanazawa’s research indicated that women also indicate the DNA and intellectual capabilities of men when considering a life partner. Although this accounts for the criteria of a woman in choosing her life partner, it does not fully explain why she would opt for an ugly man to marry:
- If we were to follow the analogy stated in Dubner’s article, Kanazawa had basically whittled down the choice of a life partner to a simple scientific compatibility test. The better the DNA of an ugly man, the more likely a beautiful woman is to marry him. However, there is another, more realistic basis for attracting a person. These concepts rely on intellect, religion, proximity, complementary, and similarity concepts.
- Dubner’s article indicates that by Kanazawa’s concept, an ugly man will get a beautiful woman to marry him with no basis of physical attraction. For as long as a man knows how to treat a woman properly and works hard on making her feel special, he will win her heart and eventually marry her.
What do women really consider when looking for a life partner
Beauty is a trait more valuable for women than men:
- According to Dubner, Kanazawa’s indicated a 36% probability that good-looking parents would have a baby daughter as a child instead of a first-born son. Therefore, women tend to value beauty more than men. Selection pressure means that if parents have a domineering trait that is best passed unto boys than girls, the tendency will be to have a boy first and vice versa. However, in the case of heritable traits, there are more positive results when daughters are firstborn.
- In this case scenario, there is evidence that the complementary aspect of a relationship would tend to dictate the choice of a life partner for a woman. Heritable traits are after all considered to be a complementary aspect of a married couple’s union and therefore would help the interpersonal relationship between the couple and their children.
Ugly men make beautiful women feel special:
- According to Dubner, Sakagawa attributed the attraction of beautiful women to ugly men to the law of supply and demand. In reality, ugly men have a specific way of treating beautiful women that they do not get from handsome men. However, Maria (2007) argued that ugly men try harder to make women feel special while handsome men prefer to have the women work on making them feel special. In effect, the imperfection of the male becomes a relationship attribute instead of a weakness. Therefore such relationships have room for growth on both sides and a complete understanding of each other’s faults and shortcomings.
- Therefore, there is truth to Dubner’s belief in Sakagawa’s statement that “Beauty is just one female trait”. The complementary aspect of a relationship is more important than any physical or intellectual shortcomings in a relationship. By marrying a man who compliments her strengths and weaknesses, a woman assures herself of having a well-balanced series of traits in her children.
Summary Statement: Therefore, one can surmise that the actual reason a woman chooses to marry an ugly man has everything to do with actually providing herself with a happy and content environment more than basking in the idea of having a good-looking relationship that is empty on the inside.
We have to remember the basis of the article. The reason a woman will choose to marry an ugly man has everything to do with genetics and self-fulfillment aside from the law of supply and demand.
Thank you very much for your time.
Billdoll.com (2008) Why do beautiful women prefer ugly men?. BillDoll.com – The Billion Dollar Site. Web.
Bryner, Jenna. (2008). Why beautiful women marry less attractive men. Live Science. Web.
Get your first paper with 15% OFF
Dubner, Stephen J. (2006). Why do beautiful women sometimes marry unattractive men?. The New York Times. Web.
Maria, Selena. (2008) We only date ugly men. The Sun. Web.
Pal Singh, Pushpa. Dating tips – secrets about women men don’t know. (2007). Ezine Articles. Web.
Von Pfetten, Verena. (2008). Why women gladly date uglier men ( and probably even prefer them). The Huffington Post. Web.