Successful transition from higher education to employment is quite vital for students undertaking career courses. Information and resource can help in guiding students so that they can make the right choices and successfully transition to various positions of work. The USA and UK have established various organizations which will enable students to transit successfully from school to the employment sector. This proves to be quite hard for newly employed persons within the first year of employment. Therefore, as part of training, many colleges have ensured that their students are well trained on various ways to cope with employment and in carrying- out activities which will enhance successful employment.
We will write a custom Research Paper on Transitional to Employment Stages in Business specifically for you
301 certified writers online
A successful transition will help graduates to choose the right placement offices to work with and learn of their activities within the office in minimum time. This will help graduates to relate better with other employees that are working in the same office as well as enhancing good cooperation with employers.
Placement offices are meant to link students with various local, national, and international employers. Those students who are carrying out a variety of courses in universities are entitled to these services which are offered within the learning institutions (US Bureau of Labor Statistics,2002). This is quite important especially for business schools which give students enough experience within their career courses. This helps them to transit to employment with full experience on placement office
ensures that staffs are committed to finding suitable places for their students where they can be employed and this is followed by follow-up of student’s progress within the period of their placement.
Most placement offices in the USA and UK work together with students and alumni so that they can help them in gaining the necessary training and skills that they need so that they can launch successful jobs which will help them in the future to fulfill their careers. The office will work hand in hand with the students and alumni to ensure that there is a place to work for all the students who are trained in different areas. Such areas include:-
- Give them comprehensive career services which encompass advisory and counseling services.
- Advice them on how to build comprehensive research on any aspect of career development.
- Assist them on how to build and maintain a dynamic relationship with various employing bodies.
- Compile their salary data and also their employment data
- They provide job access online by listing these jobs for alumni and students.
For most employers who start up new jobs, the first thing that they have to do is to contact career placement offices. Some of these offices can allow an individual to open a file that has references and resumes which will help in contacting those who require any form of placement. The file should be made available to employers so that they can have an overview of those who require placement and the relevant areas in which they require to be placed. Career placement office offers various services to students which will help them in carrying out their educational and career goals so that they can establish their skills. This will help them to acquire employment in better offices of their choice. This is enabled by building partnerships with students, alumni members of the faculty, administrations, the entire community, and employers. They usually counsel individuals and groups so that they can develop their interest both in academic and in career.
In the career office, they have various recruiting agencies and in their agency, they are involved in listing jobs that have been submitted by various employers so that they can be made available to students and alumni who require any form of job regarding his/her career (Bernard, 2003). Recruiting agencies are usually contacted so that they can contact the hiring organization on the behave of the students so that they can link various employers and those who need placement services.
Career advisory services offices assist students and those who have graduated in making a good choice of career. This is done by offering students enough opportunity to develop their skills and also gain experience so that those who are interested can be at a point of managing their career development in the future and also they can achieve their goals effectively. Impartial and confidential career advice is offered by the advisory team and also guidance services are available to students for two years after graduation (Glover, Arber, 1995). Career advisory services help to raise the profile of students so that they can meet various recruitment and presentation needs.
There are some services that are offered to undergraduates, postgraduates, and graduates. Some of these services include:-
- Guidance and support which is offered individually which also include aptitude test.
- Employers presentation together with career talk.
- Services based on student employment, these services are facilitated to both employers and the student who requires placement services.
- They guide students on self-awareness and career choice which will help them in looking for a job.
Therefore, when students, are advised accordingly, they can have clear guidelines on how to choose the form of employment that suits them, how to relate with employers, and also on how to cope with work within the first few months of employment. This office can also help those who are looking for a job or internship in exploring various options in their career. They usually prepare a resume and cover letters for those who require them and arranging for interviews and also undertaking various negotiations with the employers before they can recruit people in various positions for internship jobs. They also assist employers with the process of interviews which is based on campus and companies in most cases choose either pre-selection, open sign high, or bid system in carrying out their interviewing processes which can either take place within the college or at the company’s premises (Kelly, 2000).
Placement offices both advisory and career offices one structured differently each with a huge activity that takes place within different departments. Career development uses its structural governance. The structures of career advisory services are based on various groups which aim at helping an individual with various aspects which will help them to achieve and maintain job satisfaction which can reign for their entire lives.
Career advisory services are managed by heads who are the senior career advisers and their main aim is to negotiate with authorities within colleges in the US and UK which ensure that on-site services are met.
Career advisory service is organized as follows:
- Central Services: This branch deals with communicational services and vacancies. In this, they organize, carry out administrative work and promote various events in career development. They also advertise employer’s jobs in various universities and colleges so that students can be aware of many places where they can be attached to.
Within the central services, there is also a consultancy team that works together with clients so that they can be aware of the broad range of various developments in career skills and other training (Moe, 1998).
Get your first paper with 15% OFF
They provide guidance and other information to graduates of all ages and their services are offered at any stage within the course of learning in any university.
- Graduates research – This branch deals with various research regarding career services especially for those who are dealing with those people who have finished their higher education.
- Information and research- This updates and maintains occupational career and other information its also responsible for managing the Internet and other websites which are based on career development.
- Online services- This group enables those who are interested to get updates of the available job opportunities on either websites, the Internet, and also on various databases of employers.
- Sales departments – It builds, maintains, and develops a cordial relationship with the employer, they also recruits graduates and identifies other needs such as admission needs and they deal with sales and promotion of various products and services from career group so that they can be able to meet their requirements effectively.
Career group which deals with advisory services is well known for its quality standards which encompass facilitating various information advice and services based on guidance and counseling.
The offices of career developments are organized in different ways whereby it has many departments which deal with different organizational aspects in ensuring that students are accessing the service in the right way so that they will be helped accordingly acquiring placement opportunities in various firms and industries in both local and foreign countries.
Career office deals with students from different departments who have undertaken different courses in getting them a suitable place where they can get relevant training to enhance their career opportunities and also to help them in making a good transition from higher education to the employment sector (O’Hagen, 2002). This office helps many students to make a clear transition from their academic pursuit in various levels towards their career goals. They strive hard so that they can provide a variety of well-balanced services which determine their structural setup. These are the provision of direct services, various educational programs, and other resource materials that studies need so that they can acquire good transitional standards have meaningful employment, obtain internships did also pursue other consistency in education.
Direct services are offered to students and employers so that they can be linked together which enables students or alumni to be aware of employers who are within the line of their studies and who can offer good employment to their students. Likewise, direct service departments also ensure that employers can conduct interviews on students of alumni who they have chosen by being guided by the department which offers direct services.
The educational program department enables employers and students to have the basic knowledge that they need to enhance the cordial relationship with each other. This will enable students to pursue their career goals since they will be having additional educational consistent.
There is also a contact and servicing unit within the office of career services which is meant for employers and graduates from various institutions. They offer both on sight and also online recruitment services to employers who seek students from different fields and faculties within the institution. The resource material department enables students to learn more about potential employers so that they can be able to link up with those in their field of specialization.
The career office works hand in hand with employers which creates good cooperation between the two bodies. Coordinating committee structure in most cases and the administrative body has enhanced good cooperation between career services and employer and other people that take part in any aspect of the career services.
The coordinating office which is made up of the board of trustees is the main office in the career placement office which usually coordinates the activities of the office. It is entirely responsible for jobs searches and other placement activities.
The office has established a network that links the career office and the employer and this makes them retain their responsibilities and enjoy a good relationship with them. A good relationship is determined by the fact whether those who have been assigned to work in various places meet the standards that were required by the employer. The employer usually gives an overview of the standards that he/she wants and therefore it is the duty of recruiting staff in the career office to give them the best.
Career advisory services office cooperates with the employer in ensuring that they are facilitated adequate advice to those who are going to be placed in the various employment sector. This relationship depends on the type of guidance and person that they produce to work in their workplaces. Since career advisory services have been established in quite some institution, employers have found it necessary to link up with these offices since those people that they acquire to be employed in their offices are well trained, guided and counseled effectively which have shown potentiality of this department and therefore they can work together effectively. Employers have to cooperate well with this office so that they can get the best and those people who are ready to work.
Some of the associations according to O’Hagen that are based on career services and employees who deal with placement activities includes:
- Aerotek – This branch is based in the United States and the United Kingdom whereby they find and place various personnel in engineering and technical fields for temporary work.
- AGCAS-This is an association of career practitioners which deals with professionals from higher education and facilitates placement services to students. They use experts and resources of its membership which is meant to benefit all its members including those from higher education, clients, customers, and the whole sector at large. This association aims at working with appropriate partners and stakeholders so that excellence and innovation can be promoted in higher education. Influence and informal policies on various career guidance and to foster international network in development all these are enhanced by AGCAS so that their relationship between higher learning institutions and employers can be enhanced.
- AGR- This is an organization that aims at setting various agendas for a change of the way graduates are recruited and to impose knowledge and experience on graduates on the way to go ahead in the field of employment. They also offer impartial experts advice members of this organization are provided with access to various surveys carried out on market through research findings and other aspects such as briefing papers. They facilitate networking among the members so that they can share practices through organizing seminars and conferences and also focus on various groups through online services. They work together with recruits to ensure that their views are heard by various people within the government universities and career services who are involved in decision-making.
- NACE – This is an association of national colleges and employers. It entirely deals with internship students and hiring them, in various employment sectors since immigration and employment sectors are imposing rules which are conflicting, and therefore they are involved in interviewing various international students regarding service practitioners. This helps the young professionals to find a job internationally whereby they, help professionals to analyze and dispel various misconceptions of myths that are linked with the international work of professionals.
- NUS – This is a national wide union of students.
This body usually carries out various research on students while in training and after studies and this helps them to gain potential information which will help them to acquire a job after they are through with studies.
Therefore, to sum it all, placement offices are quite vital in all learning institutions because students benefit greatly from their services which help them in developing potential skills within their career fields, how to acquire a job after school and also they help one to develop a sense of work and good relationship with the employer.
Information and resource can help in guiding these students so that they can make the right choice and a successful transition. In the USA and UK, the research center enables students to transit from school to the employment sector which has proved to be hard for a newly employed person within the first year of employment. Therefore, as part of training, many colleges have ensured that their students are well trained on various ways to cope with employment offices and in carrying out other placement activities which will enhance successful employment. Successful transitional will help one to choose the right placement office to work with and learn of their activities within the office which will hence help one to relate better with other employees that are working in the same office and this increases the chances of one surviving at the workplace. It also enhances good cooperation with the employer which is quite vital in any employment sector. In most cases, the Placement office deals with those students in various local, national, and international employers who have to carry out a variety of courses within the university. This is quite important for every institutional which train students on various career courses which gives student enough experience within their career course which will help them to transact to employment with full experience placement office ensures that staffs are committed to finding suitable places for their students where they can be employed and they follow up students progress within the period of their placement
Most placement offices in the USA and UK work together with students and alumni to ensure that their students do not go to waste but rather they have secured them a place to work. This helps them in gaining the necessary tools and skills which will help them to launch successful jobs that will be fulfilling to their career (O’Cinneide & Hirsch,1996). Likewise, they help employers to acquire potential reliable workers, who are well trained without much trouble since they have links with these agents.
Barnard, G (2003), Successful Transitioning from College to Work Life, London: Routledge.
Folsom, C. & Snyder, D. (2002). The Context American Education: Journal of Horizon, 10(2), pp. 6- 12.
Glover J, Arber S. (1995). Work and Organization (UK) : Journal of benefits and opportunities. 2(4), p165-167.
Kelly, J. (2000, October 10). United Kingdom On line Global College. Financial Times. United Kingdom.
Moe, M. (1998). Knowledge book. Merrill Lynch, New York. pg 45-67.
O’Hagen, C. (2002). Global Universities. Web.
O’Cinneide B & Hirsch R. (1996) Enterprise activities: Journal of Managerial Psychology. 11(2), pp 45-47.
US Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2002). Projections. Web.