Death of a SalesMan is Arthur Miller’s multiple award winning novel. It’s not surprising that your professor assigned you to write Death of a Salesman essay. Read this post to find out what mistakes you should avoid when writing your paper.
Essay writing can be a daunting task for all students. We’ve prepared a list of common students’ mistakes they make while writing essays with their solutions:
1. Poor Death of a Salesman essay introduction.
Stop, if you want to start your paper with a phrase like “In this my essay…” This clause sounds boring and overused. Instead of it, give your readers a hook. Something that will make them want to read your essay to the end.
Use quotes, a surprising fact about the book or author, or even provide one of your Death of a Salesman essay questions.
2. Weak thesis statement.
If your thesis statement is incomplete or unfocused, think about revising it. When you’re composing it, make sure that your Death of a Salesman essay thesis provides your readers with key idea of a paper.
Check if it’s eye-catching and clear. If you’re struggling with topic ideas, check our sample essays.
3. Deviation from the key paper topic.
Among the most common mistakes that make most of students is turning aside from the main idea you stated in the thesis. For example, in the introduction, you stated that your paper is going to discuss the American dream in Miller’s plot. But body paragraphs are about betrayal. To avoid this error, stay focused on the key issue.
4. Unrelated transition sentences.
The transition sentences are aimed to connect your arguments and paragraphs. Use only related sentences in your paper. This will help you to keep the flow of your essay.
5. Lack of supporting examples and quotes.
The use of examples and quotes supports your point of view on the main essay idea. In other words, using examples illustrates your writing and gives more weight to arguments. So make a list of your Death of a Salesman essay quotes when you will be reading the book.
6. Excessive use of complex sentences.
Actually, there’s nothing wrong in complex sentences. However, if your essay completely consists of them, your readers will hardly understand the topic. Therefore, try to use simple sentences in your paper.
7. Too specifiс vocabulary.
The use of advanced vocabulary is not a good idea, unless you’re writing on complex technical topic. Think of your readers when you write a paper: will they understand this word or is it better to replace it with a synonym? You should be able to explain complex things in simple words.
8. Grammar and spelling mistakes.
Did you know that some professors may lower your marks due to grammar and spelling errors? Here are the four most common student errors:
- Spelling mistakes. Sometimes students use incorrect homophones in a sentences. For example, “its” instead of “it’s”, “right” instead of “rite”, etc. So always do a spellcheck on a revision stage.
- The absence of a comma before a coordinating conjunction. It is acceptable not to use a comma if your clauses are short and closely related. In other cases, you should put it before a coordinating conjunction in order to avoid run-on sentences.
- Missing subject. In academic writing, you should avoid sentences that are missing a verb or a subject.
- Wordiness. As we’ve already mentioned above, complex and wordy sentences often make your writing unclear. Think if you can replace the long phrase with one or two words.
If you’re still not sure how to complete your Death of a Salesman essay, check our free essay samples below!
🏆 Best Death of a Salesman Topic Ideas & Essay Examples
- Symbolism in Death of a Salesman The play is based on both Miller’s personal experiences and the theatrical traditions in which he was instructed in.”Death of a salesman” revolves around the Loman family with Willy Loman, the father, who also works […]
- Willy Loman is a Tragic Hero According to Arthur Miller’s Essay Tragedy and the Common Man There is a statement that Willy Loman is a tragic hero according to Arthur Miller’s definition of what a tragic hero is in his famous essay Tragedy and the Common Man.
- Comparison of writers In this regard, the death of the protagonist also causes readers a sense of despair because the main character was not transformed prior to his death.
- Death of a Salesman Conflicts and Themes It is a significant confusion that Willy has thought that for one to be successful, he has to be well-liked by people.
- Characters in The Glass Menagerie and The Death of Salesman For example, one of the main characters in Death of a Salesman, Willy Loman is identified as a “mentally and emotionally confused” person; the male character of The Glass Menagerie is under a threat of […]
- Death of a Salesman Relationships Analysis Essay It is a satirical play that highlights the life of Willy Loman, the main character, a traveling salesman who has worked for Wagner Company for thirty-four years and ends up a failure because it is […]
- Hardships, Family Relationships, Insanity and Death in Two Renowned Dramas Fences by Wilson and Death of a Salesman by Miller Unfortunately, this led one of them to insanity and the other one to alienate himself from the rest of the family.
- Death of a Salesman Death of a Salesman has a good share of symbols, which the playwright uses to communicate the themes of his great work creatively.
- Death of a Salesmen It appears that there were two major prerequisites, which caused the first production of Miller’s Death of as Salesman to end up being instantaneously referred to as nothing short of a revolutionary theatrical event – […]
- Death of a Salesman We realize that Biff estrangement from his father is as a result of Biff discovering Willie with a hooker in Boston.
- Death of a Salesman However, one of the major concerns of the play is the American system and capitalism, or rather the back side of it. Thus, the plot of the play helps the author to convey his idea […]
- Exploration of Art Theater: comparing and contrasting “Oedipus Rex” and “Death of a Salesman” Proposals to the queen and the execution of the king are two coincidences in “Oedipus Rex”. On the other hand, as Cohen notes, “the death of Willy is a tragedy while the failure of his […]
- Difference between Tragedy and Pathos in Death of a Salesman Willy Loman is believed to be a tragic hero, since he fails to achieve his purpose and encounters numerous barriers in his way to self-realization and happiness. Willy Loman cannot be a tragic hero, since […]
- “Death of a Salesman”: Little Person’s Heroism? One of the central themes in this play is the life of little people and “the tension between little people and big issues”.
- Willy Loman, a poor role model to his two sons Biff and Happy The main theme in the play is sustained in the play with the sons of Willy attaining their personality from their father.
- Response Paper: “Do I Have a Good Dream?” The aspects and basics used by the author to explain the concept of dreams through Willy and his family is what actually happens in the modern society. It can be used to educate people and […]
- “Death of a Salesman” by Steven Erickson In addition, Ben’s key music is indicative of him being the figure that Willy adored as a source of his hope in life.
- Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller He trained his sons on his approach to life and hoped they would follow and achieve his dream of success. Willy’s life was a disappointment as he had the wrong ambitions and failed to teach […]
- “Death of a Salesman” by Arthur Miller and Durkheim’s Theory It appears that the suicide of the main character of the play “Death of a Salesman” by Arthur Miller can be described within the framework suggested by Durkheim.
- Comparison: Death of a Salesman and A Streetcar Named Desire In the Death of a Salesman, Willy, the protagonist, is lost in the illusion that the American dream is only achievable via superficial qualities of likeability and attractiveness.
- Arthur Miller’s Play “Death of a Salesman” After all, it is not only that the themes and motifs, contained in the play, are utterly humanistic, but also the specifics of how Miller conceived it to be staged suggest that Death of a […]