For many of us, physical activity is an essential part of life. From morning yoga to professional soccer, it all helps us stay fit and healthy. Besides, it’s a source of entertainment that relaxes and calms us down.
Writing about sports can be as enjoyable as playing them. Are you passionate about some sports game or event? Do you have a favorite sportsperson? Have you ever participated in a championship? Watched the Olympic games? Then a good sports persuasive essay topic is what you need.
That is why:
Our professional writers prepared a list of sports persuasive essay topics. The main goal of a persuasive essay is to convince a reader that your point of view is valid. So, check out ideas to find something that you can persuade in.
- ✍ How to Start?
- 🍂 Seasonal Sports
- 🏏 Topics on Games
- 🥇 Professional Sports
- 🚴 Physical Activities
- 📝 Writing about Sports
✍ How to Start a Sports Persuasive Essay?
You may be familiar with the term “hook” concerning the essay writing. If not, well, it’s a catchy sentence or two at the beginning of the paper. It’s supposed to intrigue the reader and grab their attention so that they follow your train of thought.
The writer places a hook before the thesis statement of their paper. This way, the reader will be more focused on the core message.
Let’s be real:
Not everyone is interested in sports. Or not in the particular game that you center your paper around. So, in the persuasive essay on sports, a catchy hook is essential. You need an attention grabber to make anyone engaged. Plus, it helps to get a clear understanding of your thesis later.
So, how can you intrigue from the start?
There are several popular hooks for sports-related essays:
- Quotations. A quotation is an engaging way to introduce your reader to the topic. Make sure the quote is relevant to the rest of the essay. “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
- Fun Facts. Use some fun or unexpected info about sports to surprise a reader. It can be a great attention-grabber, especially if a reader is not knowledgeable on the subject. A record 202 countries participated in the 2004 Olympic Summer Games in Athens.
- Personal Experience. Using personal experience in a hook is smart in several ways. First, it gives the reader a sense of the author’s presence. Second, it provides information in an engaging, conversational style. I couldn’t stand the idea of working out when I was younger.
- Anecdotes. Similar to personal experience, anecdotes are entertaining stories. They can be based on a real narrative or be entirely made-up. Your task is to make them humorous. Do you know Jim Thorpe’s response when he received the gold medal for the Decathlon? When the King of Sweden said that Thorpe was the greatest athlete in the world, he said, “Thanks, King.”
- Rhetorical Questions. Rhetorical questions don’t require an answer. They either state the obvious or encourage one’s thinking. Use them in a hook to immerse the reader into the subject. If LeBron James ends up taking the Cleveland Cavaliers to the playoffs now, and Carmelo Anthony can’t take the Denver Nuggets to the playoffs, what do you think that does to the Rookie of the Year voting?
- Useful Definition. Starting the first paragraph with a definition sets the tone for your essay. It is an informative, specific lead to your topic. Deck work is the mood-setting moves performed on the deck once the music starts before the swimmers enter the water.
- Controversial statement. There are usually two sides to any controversy. Your reader will either agree or disagree with a given statement but will stay invested. The U.S. men’s soccer team won’t win a World Cup in the foreseeable future.
🍂Persuasive Essay Topics: Seasonal Sports
Some sports activities differ from one time of the year to another. Here is a list of good persuasive essay topics about seasonal sports:
❄Winter Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- The launch of The Winter Dew Tour has greatly Improved Snowboarding Culture in the US.
- Recent Climate Change Trends pose a significant threat to the winter sports industry.
- Cross Country Skiing is the least dangerous of all winter sports.
- Figure skating judges are biased.
- Violence in hockey is often encouraged by fans.
- Ski jumping is better than snowboarding.
- North Korea stole the show during Pyongyang winter Olympics.
- The Winter sports apparel market will keep growing regardless of the global crisis.
- Fake snow should not be used for winter sports.
- Bobsleigh is not a serious sport.
☀Summer Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- Golf is a rich man’s favorite sport.
- Horse showing is underrated in the US.
- Boxing is better than MMA. Are boxers better athletes than MMA fighters?
- More American Universities should invest in organizing summer sports camps.
- It’s time to cancel the NBA summer league.
- Gymnastics is the most aesthetically pleasing sport.
- Wimbledon is not as prestigious anymore.
- Skateboarding should not be a part of the Olympics.
- Alcohol consumption should be prohibited during the Tour de France.
- Martial arts are practiced only for defense purposes.
- Nike is the best producer of golf equipment.
- Badminton is harder to play than tennis.
- Lacrosse and field hockey are the same sport.
- Swimming should be a mandatory skill for everyone.
- Surfing is the most difficult of all water sports.
🏏 Sports Persuasive Essay Topics: Games
Games can be one of the most exciting things about sports. Take a look at the persuasive essay topics about team sports:
🏈 American Football Persuasive Essay Topics
- Football is too dangerous for its players. Concussions and other brain injuries are common in American football.
- American football philosophy is inseparable from American identity.
- American football is more profitable than baseball.
- Companies should stop placing ads on the player’s uniform. Elaborate on the distracting factor. Can it lead to more injuries among the players?
- College athletes who play American football should get a better insurance plan.
- The Canadian football league is more fun to watch than the NFL.
- Rugby is harder to play than American football.
- College football players should get higher scholarships.
- More awareness should be raised about racist team names in football.
- The football helmet is an essential part of the equipment.
- Of all contact team sports, American football is the most dangerous.
- There should be an age limit for young kids to start playing football.
- The tradition of American football has created a tightly-bound community.
- American football cultivates unnecessary violence and aggression.
- American football conveys a wrong image of masculinity.
⚽ Soccer Persuasive Essay Topics
- FIFA World Cup is the most profitable yet corrupt soccer event in the world. Should its policies be reconsidered?
- FIFA’s primary mission is to promote peace and intercultural communication.
- Soccer World Cup is not well adjusted for the international crowd.
- Women’s soccer gets fewer media coverage than men’s soccer.
- Virtual reality is soccer training that can replace conventional training methods.
- The World Cup events bring severe damage to the countries that host them.
- Soccer drills are the most effective training strategy.
- Different techniques for kicking a soccer ball are a critical element of the game.
- Despite all the risks, soccer is the best investment in the sports industry.
- Soccer has become an integral part of Saudi culture.
- The World Cup bidding system is too corrupt.
- Girls soccer teams should be allowed to compete with boys soccer teams.
- Karl Henning is a better businessman than a soccer player.
- Soccer coaching ethics should be stricter.
- Soccer is the most popular team sport of the century.
🏀 Basketball Persuasive Essay Topics
- UCR’s Women’s Basketball uses inefficient marketing strategies.
- We should reconsider the age range for basketball game players.
- There should be a female version of the Big East conference.
- Racial prejudices are a prominent issue in basketball.
- College basketball players should get paid for each game.
- Michael Jordan and LeBron James should not be compared.
- Basketball is the least traumatic team sport.
- Schools should encourage and support girls’ basketball teams more.
- Basketball is a more exciting game than soccer.
- Height is not a decisive factor in basketball.
- There is a link between basketball and hip-hop.
- The use of Native American imagery for basketball mascots is offensive.
- Basketball is a more American game than football.
- Basketball used to be more accessible.
- Basketball games in movies are not realistic.
⚾ Baseball Persuasive Essay Topics
- Baseball is more profitable than football.
- Baseball games should incorporate instant replays.
- Major League Baseball should carry out tests on steroid use among players.
- MLB should invest more in seeking out young talents.
- Pitchers play the most influential role in baseball.
- Princeton University Youth Baseball and Softball Association is a great initiative.
- Baseball is more interesting to watch than cricket.
- Data collection methods in MLB are not objective.
- The rules in baseball are too complicated for spectators to follow.
- Baseball used to be more exciting as a game.
- International players in baseball teams attract new audiences.
- American Legion Baseball coaches should get higher salaries.
- MLB should have a set salary cap.
- Baseball salary caps are, in fact, a bad idea.
- Houston Astros players should’ve been penalized after the sign-stealing scandal.
🥇Professional Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
We honor a variety of sports on different large-scale events. Here are persuasive essay topics about professional sports:
🏋Olympics Persuasive Essay Topics
- Ancient Greek Olympics held more sense and symbolism compared to the modern Olympics.
- Skill and greatness shouldn’t be ultimately measured by the number of gold medals.
- The Summer Olympics are more entertaining than the Winter Olympics.
- We should abolish the Olympic games. Explain that they cause severe economic and social issues. Elaborate on the harm to the environment due to the games.
- The Olympics are great at promoting values of peace and international communication.
- The Olympic games bring more damage than benefits to a hosting country.
- Medicine dealing is the most problematic aspect of the Olympics.
- Jesse Owens is the greatest athlete in Olympics history.
- The Olympics ticketing system will significantly benefit from IT development.
- The Olympics Committee should reconsider the use of anabolic steroids.
- Money spent on the Olympics could serve better causes.
- Special Olympics should get more media coverage.
- The Summer Olympics list should include cricket.
- We shouldn’t ban blood doping during the Olympics.
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics should be postponed until 2022.
🏆NBA Persuasive Essay Topics
- If not his multiple injuries Ralph Sampson could’ve become the player of the century.
- The WNBA is underrated compared to the NBA. Why do female players have significantly smaller salaries than male players?
- The NBA has one of the most loyal fan bases of all.
- The NBA All-Star games are more entertaining than Super Bowl events.
- The NBA age limit is too small.
- Investing in an NBA team is too risky.
- The NBA draft does not provide equal chances for all teams.
- Joel Embiid owes part of his success to Kobe Bryant.
- Is NBA the most successful of North America’s sports leagues?
- Charlotte Hornet’s value rose because Michael Jordan bought it.
- Toronto Raptors and Milwaukee Bucks are equally good teams.
- The rivalry between Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors developed after the 2015 NBA Finals.
- The NBA’s dress code should be reconsidered.
- The NBA 2011 lockout has significantly worsened the owners-players relationship.
- Michael Jordan is overrated.
🏃 NFL Persuasive Essay Topics
- Super Bowl uses an extremely efficient marketing strategy.
- The NFL concussion rules are too disruptive for the game.
- Tony Romo is the best player in Dallas Cowboys.
- The NFL is more profitable than MLB.
- NFL’s Michael Vick case. Explain that the legal justice system does not treat celebrities equally as other individuals. Provide more examples from real life to support your arguments.
- Does NFL cultivate violence and aggression?
- NFL UK will be able to compete with the original NFL in the foreseeable future.
- The NFL should pay more attention to head injuries.
- Dak Prescott is the best quarterback.
- Is Tua Tagovaiola overrated? He went straight from Alabama football team to Miami Dolphins. That’s when Tagovailoa started as a promising quarterback. But what happened after?
- We should end the NFL Preseason tradition as it’s unnecessary.
- Chicago Bears is the most successful NFL team.
- New Orleans Saints was a revolutionary team for the NFL.
- Antonio Brown should be able to return to playing in NFL regardless of his criminal record.
- The NFL is the best football association in the world, and here’s why.
🏒 NHL Persuasive Essay Topics
- The NHL is not doing enough to control violence during the game.
- Fighting should be banned as it can result in player’s life-long injuries.
- Edmonton Oilers’ Connor Mcdavid is the best NHL player.
- Canadians are better at playing hockey than Americans.
- The NFL should consider reducing contract length.
- Florida Panthers have a long way to go to become a good team.
- Gary Bettman is the worst NHL commissioner.
- Tickets for the NHL winter classic games should be less expensive.
- Victor Hedman is the all-time best defenseman in Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Regardless of their efforts, referees are always the scapegoats on ice.
- The NHL All-Star games are more exciting than the NBA ones.
🚴Physical Activities Persuasive Essay Topics
Sport is not always about competing. For many of us, it is a way to stay active and get that good old endorphin rush.
🤸 Persuasive Essay Topics on Exercises
- Daily exercise ensures better mental and physical health. Seems obvious, right? Give this sports persuasive essay topic a scientific twist by describing its impacts on physiology.
- The gym is the best place for physical activity.
- Yoga is the best practice for stress-management.
- Children should not be assessed for their physical training at school.
- All children should have a certain level of physical activity a week.
- Companies should let their employees exercise during work hours.
- Everyone should know how to play at least one sport.
- Personal trainers can improve your exercise routine significantly.
- CrossFit is not the healthiest way to exercise.
- Swimming is one of the healthiest workouts.
- At-home workouts are as efficient as gym workouts.
- Exercise rehabilitation is essential for injury recovery.
- Physically active children have more chances to grow into dynamic adults.
- Physical exercise can battle depression.
- Proper stretching activities are essential to prevent injuries.
🍏 Fitness Topics
- Obesity and weight loss are some of the most burning issues in the US.
- Vegetarianism can damage health. Discuss the controversy of vegetarianism as a lifestyle concept.
- Fitness obsession is not that harmful.
- Poor sleeping pattern is one of the most health-damaging factors.
- All restrictive diets are bad for human’s health.
- Health and wellness programs have a positive impact on employees’ performance.
- Excessive salt consumption is hugely harmful.
- It is a myth that gluten can negatively affect one’s health.
- Schools should take better care of children’s nutrition plan.
- Food supplements can’t replace actual vitamin intake.
- Most people who are trying to lose weight approach dieting in the wrong way.
- Nutrition is more important than physical exercise.
- Healthy food should be more affordable.
- Social media plays a crucial role in promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- Diet pills can put your life in danger.
💃 Dance Persuasive Essay Topics
- Dance is more of a sport than an art.
- Zumba is a better workout than pilates and aerobics.
- Hip-hop will never become outdated.
- Ballet schools require one of the most intense physical training.
- Dancing provides physical and mental relaxation.
- Learning how to dance is one of the less obvious confidence boosters.
- Capoeira is an underrated martial art.
- Should dance be included in major sports events like the Olympics?
- The right amount of training can make a good dancer out of anyone.
- Dancing can be as good of a workout as any other sport.
📝 Writing a Persuasive Essay about Sports
Now that you’ve seen the topics let’s talk about writing. Persuasive essays differ from the other academic papers in both the goal and structure. You have to keep in mind that you’re composing not for yourself but for the reader. That’s why you have to present your arguments logically and coherently.
Here are some tips on writing a killer persuasive essay about sports:
- Choose a topic that you can handle. Don’t try to compose a paper on the game that you know nothing about. It’s too tiring and time-consuming. Remember that it takes months for a fan to learn everything about their favorite sport. If you don’t have such years-long passion, focus on the more straightforward aspects of your topic.
- Research beforehand. Even if you’re a sports fan, and especially if you’re not. There are plenty of rules and scandals that you need to consider to sound convincing. Look up some fun facts or entertaining stories. Sports topics usually give you plenty of material to play around with.
- Take notes. The more notes you take while researching, the less work you’ll have to do after. And you won’t have to reread the materials to find that one sports event that you’ve forgotten about. The industry is quite vibrant with exceptional cases. Make sure you keep track of all the information that might be useful.
- Pick the issues to discuss according to the evidence. If you can’t support an argument with enough credible proof, don’t include it in your essay. Both argumentative and persuasive essays require you to stay on top of your argumentation.
- Outline and draft your paper before writing the final version. When you’re writing on recent events, you may get new information at any moment. So, draft before composing. In case you decide to include some new evidence or improve an argument, it won’t be messy. Outlining will help to organize your thoughts comprehensively and concisely.
Thank you for your attention. Share this sport related persuasive essay article with a friend. And don’t be shy to convince everyone your opinion is the right one!
- Good Topics for an Argumentative Essay on Sports: Tasos Vossos, Pen and the Pad
- Sports Reporting Essay: Cram
- Sports Essays: Bartleby
- Essay Structure: Elizabeth Abrams, for the Writing Center at Harvard University
- Writing the Introduction: Monash University
- The Basics of Essay Writing: UNSW Current Students
- English II Persuasive Essay [10th grade]: Brianna Johnson, Trinity University
- Write an Attention-Grabbing Opening Sentence for an Essay: Grace Fleming, ThoughtCo
- Essay Writing, Writing the Introduction of the Essay: Uni Learning
- Getting Started Writing: University of Maryland, Global Campus
- Taking Notes from Research Reading: Margaret Procter, Writing Support, University of Toronto
- Basic Guide to Essay Writing: Kathy Livingston