✅ 9 Tips for Writing Essays on Human Rights
The recognition of people’s rights through proper laws preserves human dignity. This broadness means that human rights essay topics range in scope drastically, requiring you to bring together different kinds of ideas in a single paper.
Thus, you may need to keep in mind particular tips, from structural advice to correct terminology, to write an excellent human rights essay.
Do your research before you start working on your outline. Searching for book and journal titles beforehand will not only help you understand your topic better but also help you structure your thoughts, affecting your structure for the better.
Compiling a bibliography early will also save you from the mess, which comes from ordering and standardizing your sources as you go.
After you have your reference page ready, draft a human rights essay outline.
Make it as detailed or as simple as you need, because what is essential is that you divide your topics evenly between your paragraphs or subheadings.
Doing so will ensure that you have a comprehensive essay that helps advance academic knowledge on a particular subject, rather than an overpowered paper aimed at a single problem.
Write your thesis statement as your final prewriting step. Excellent thesis examples should state the theme explicitly and leave your reader with an accurate understanding of what you are trying to achieve in your paper.
Skipping or ignoring this phase may leave your work disoriented and without a definite purpose.
Keep in mind your chosen human rights essay questions when writing. Going off theme will never get you good marks with your instructor.
If you are writing from a cultural relativism point of view, then do you have the word-count to argue about moral relativism? Do not forget that everything you write should advance your central thesis and never undermine it!
Get a good grasp on the relevant terminology. Confusing human nature with the human condition is never a good start to a paper that aspires to shed light on one subject or the other.
You can start writing down the terms that you find useful or intriguing during your research phase to help you gain a better understanding of their meaning.
Understand the correct time and place to qualify or refute certain statements. Arguing against the children’s right to basic needs may never be appropriate in an academic setting. Acknowledge the arguable cases, and subvert these to your benefit, as an essayist.
Interest your audience with essay hooks and exciting facts. Academia is not a dull place, and your readers may find themselves more willing to engage with your work if they find it enjoyable, rather than dry and formalistic. Doing so will also demonstrate your good grasp on the subject!
Remain respectful of your chosen case, and remember that you are writing about a subject that experiences hundreds of daily violations.
Recognizing the dangerous nature of your paper will not only help you separate beneficial facts from superficial ones but may also allow you to hone your academic integrity.
Read sample essays online to gain a better understanding of what essay mechanics will work and which you can leave unused. This extra reading may also give you good human rights essay ideas to begin writing your paper!
However, remember that plagiarism is a punishable offense, unlike the simple act of becoming inspired by others’ work.
Want to see some samples? Head over to IvyPanda and jump-start your paper!
🏆 Best Human Rights Topic Ideas & Essay Examples
- Abusing Human Rights: Violence Against Women According to the research topic violence against women, the only appropriate approach or method to be used in researching on violence against women is a survey whereby the researcher is supposed to go to the […]
- Human Rights in Catholic Teachings In this context, the originality of the EncyclicalPopulorumProgressio gives credence to the moral evaluation of the social issue. The concept of development is aptly captured in the concluding paragraph of the document which asserts that […]
- The Cold War: Global Prosperity and Human Rights The Cold War was one of the most famous and crucially important conflicts between the United States of America and the Soviet Union.
- Saddam Hussein Human Rights Abuse This paper focuses on the activities that took place under the authority of Saddam Hussein which led to the abuse of human rights.
- Ang Lee’s Attempts to Develop an Idea of Human Rights in Hulk, Brokeback Mountain, and Sense and Sensibility Brokeback Mountain is the story that touches upon the beginning of the 1960s and people’s inabilities to demonstrate their interests and make use of their rights; the events of Sense and Sensibility are developed during […]
- Effects of War on Humanity in Terms of Human Rights The effects not only affect the coalition governments in war, but also members of the attacked countries for instance, Iraq people recorded the greatest number of fatalities and casualties during the Iraq war.
- Human Rights: Analysis of Ludlow Massacre and the “Valour and the Horror” The contemporary society is the product of the history hence historical events and injustices are integral factor that determines the bearing of the society.
- Compare Two Movies Related With Human Rights In the Name of the Father is a movie that portrays an innocent arrest of Gerry Colon and subsequent torture for him to confess the terrorist’s crimes he did not commit and enduring long legal […]
- Global Community and Human Rights The development of a global community holds a lot of promise for the improvement of human rights. This is attainable by implementing a common code of human rights across the globe along the lines of […]
- Through the Prism of Culture: Human Rights as They Are Considering the system of Human Rights that the Chinese government suggests, and comparing it to the one introduced in the United States, one has all the rights to claim that there are certain differences between […]
- Human Rights in the Movie Escape From Sobibor As a result of the escape, the Nazi Authorities were made to shutdown the camp and planted trees The Second World War was a period during which a lot of violations of the human rights […]
- Human Rights in Serial ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Freedom of choice comprises one of the constituents of a wider debate going to the society under the umbrella of human rights.
- Basic Human Rights Violation The Human Rights Watch was formed in the year 1978 following the creation of the Helsinki Watch. The issue of terrorism has posed the greatest challenge in the operations of the Human Rights Watch.
- New “Act on Democracy and Human Rights in Belarus” Passed by the US Congress The Act calls for the immediate and unconditioned release of all imprisoned politicians including those who were detained in the repression after the elections and rejected the results of the fraudulent elections.”Act on Democracy and […]
- The Taliban and Human Rights Classified by most countries as a terrorist group, the Taliban group has been in the international media for serious cases on human rights abuse in form of unlawful detention, assault, decapitation, conspiracy to commit genocide, […]
- What is the UN Human Rights Council? While the initial proposals to elevate Human rights to the status of a “principal organ” on the same footing with the Security Council, the General Assembly, and ECOSOC were not realized, the Human Rights Council […]
- Protection of Human Rights of Immigrants As such, policies that protect the political, social, economic, civil and cultural rights of immigrants should be developed and implemented in all countries around the world.
- Concerning the Human Rights of Immigrants: Policies, Approaches and Stereotypes However, if taking a closer look at the situation in the USA, it is necessary to mark that the immigrants often face the threat of deportation: according to the Associated Press, there is a “policy […]
- Social Media: A Force for Political and Human Rights Changes Worldwide In this essay, I will discuss the effectiveness of traditional media and social media, and how social media has a better participation in changing the world in terms of politics and human rights.
- The Impact of Human Right on Globalization On balance, it is necessary to note that there is a link between the development of human rights and globalization. Of course, now globalization contributes to the development of human rights movement.
- Disabled Babies Have Human Rights Which We Must Let Them Enjoy The compelling views in support of the termination of developing foetus on the grounds of genetic disability are unimportant and the author takes a stance that the action is unjustifiable because people with disability enjoy […]
- Advancement of Human Rights from 1865 to Present The Thirteenth Amendment of the constitution of the United States did this. Those who fought the abolishment of slavery and equality laid the groundwork for the civil rights movement.
- Human Rights Non-Governmental Organizations and the United Nations Previously, the emphasis was put on the volunteerism of the NGOs participants, but with the recognition of the potential of the societal players and the growing size of the movement, the participation of the NGOs […]
- On What Grounds is the Idea of Universal Human Rights Challenged? The paper will begin by elucidating in a few words the concept of liberal ideology in the way we decipher it here, and reveals the way the insertion of these philosophy’s in human rights is […]
- The human rights in the USA and around the world Nowadays, we live in the world, in which the most of the leading countries declare the supremacy of law based on the democratic values and the human rights.
- Human rights and freedoms It was successful because it has several divisions, such as The Constitution itself, the Bill of Rights, basic Articles of Confederation and the government’s guarantee and responsibility to uphold the laws of a person.
- Human Rights in Asia For example, inhabitants of South East Asia argue that although the notion of human rights is universal both in ideology and in theory, it has so many obstacles due to socio-economic concerns, cultural dissimilarities and […]
- Challenges for universal human rights These leaders tend to look at interpretations of human rights in the West as distinct to their economic and social backgrounds. Trying to instate universal human rights would therefore be seen as a method of […]
- Definition of Human Rights and Trafficking One of the infamous abuses of human rights is the practice of human trafficking, which has become prevalent in the current society.
- Impact of Human Rights on Society Democratic space is an indication of tolerance and consideration of the people on the part of the government, since it shows that the voice of the people has a preference over any single person.
🥇 Most Interesting Human Rights Topics to Write about
- Critique of the U.S & the U.N Universal Declaration of Human Rights It is notable to mention that one of the major functions of the United Nations is to see to it that Human Rights of each person in the world are respected.
- United Nations Human Rights Council The United Nations Human Rights Council is an inter-governmental organization and an organ of the United Nations; all members of the United Nations members are members of UNHRC, the council seat, however, has a membership […]
- Debate between John Stuart Mill and Immanuel Kant theories on the sources of human rights The paper looks at how the two philosophers qualify their teachings as the origins of human rights, and concludes that the moral philosophy of Kant is better than that of Mills.
- Confucianism and its Effects on Human Rights Development Precisely, its ideas on freedom of speech and expression, fair treatment and equality before the law and its humanistic aspects have laid a basis for the propagation and protection of human rights in the world […]
- The challenge of human rights and cultural diversity It is however true that the existence of universal human rights is compromised by cultural relativism. In addition, it is wrong to assume that cultural relativism would interfere with the efficacy of these universal human […]
- Human Rights in History Teaching One of the foremost aspects of how history is being taught to students in Western countries is the fact that teachers usually stress out the full objectiveness of how they evaluate the significance of a […]
- Environmental Groups’ and Human Rights Organization Strategies The firm has been operating in various countries across the world, especially the third world economies where the percentage of destitute children has remained high over the years.
- Human Rights: Universalism, Marxism, Communitarianism Marxist and Communitarian do not believe in the existence of human rights. In fact, having and exercising human rights will not benefit the members of the society.
- What Are Human Rights? Nevertheless, even though that nowadays the concept of ‘human rights’ is being commonly discussed, as such that applies to all people, regardless of what happened to be the specifics of their ethno-cultural affiliation and their […]
- The Origin of the Human Rights Concept This point out to the fact that there were rights in the document that are common to different parts of the world and that they were not only obtained from the western nations’ practices of […]
- The European System of Human Rights The system was then to survive the whims of the cold war and the downfall of communism to the modern day contemporary concerns of the European continent.
- Human Rights System The rights speak of a general importance of the people having the equal rights to others and living together in the spirit of brotherhood.
- The concept of Human Rights Many of the fundamental initiatives, which animated the human rights movement, emerged in the after effects of the World War II and the mayhem of the Holocaust, leading to the legitimation of the Universal Declaration […]
- Torture and Human Rights Violation The researcher notes that the government never provided a clear explanation of the events and their position on the possibility of resorting to torture.
- The Role of Non-state Actors in the Implementation and Monitoring of Human Rights Various human rights international and local organizations have come up with strategies that aid in the implementation of human rights laws and monitoring and evaluation of the standards.
- Human Rights and Social Transformation Skeptics challenges the origin, contribution of globalization to the advancement of human rights, tension posed on security due to strict adherence to codes of human rights, human rights contribution to universality evaluated in relation to […]
- Human Rights Interventions Mindful declarations therefore strive to educate and promote the respect for rights and freedoms and implementation of progressive measures that secure the recognition of the importance and observance of the freedoms and rights3.
- Current Human Rights Issues Social rights go hand in hand with human rights since most of them are defined in declarations and treaties of human rights.
- The European Human Rights System Despite the efforts of the European human rights system to establish a common system of legislation to guide the implementation of the human rights in all the member states, the specific laws of the states […]
- The Effect of Terrorism on Human Rights: The Clash between the human rights advocates and victims of terrorism Human Rights organizations have the responsibility to ensure that the governments and other counter terrorism officials respect the human rights and the law in their fight against terrorism.
- Human Rights of People with Intellectual Disabilities Since disability is not inability, human rights’ advocates argue that perception of people with disabilities as disabled is discriminative and therefore call for their recognition as a minority people with unique abilities that do not […]
- Human Rights Violations in Turkey It is due to this that the current strategy of the EU is to seek to advance human rights in Turkey in such a way that the most detrimental aspects of preventing the country from […]
- The Objectives of Women in the International Community The need to increase the participation of women and the girl child in the civil society organisations must aim to strengthen women human rights.
- Impacts of the ‘War on Terror’ on Human Rights To the rest of the population, Jihad evokes conflict and war and it is the defining factor for making Islam to have the least reception in the minds of such opponents.
- “Feminism, Peace, Human Rights and Human Security” by Charlotte Bunch To help understand the concept of globalization, the author uses the scale, contradictions and the uncertainty associated with globalization. What are the alternative methods that can be applied to demonstrate globalization?
- Paul Farmer about the Human Rights As a result, Farmer argued that the current struggle for the essential and most vital human rights was to promote the social, as well as the economic rights of the poor individuals around the globe.
- Turkey, Media and Human Rights According the report, “press freedom, freedom of opinion and expression and presumption of innocence should be exercised within the articles of the Constitution of the Republic of Turkey, Turkish Supreme Court decisions and judgments of […]
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights UDHR is quite relevant to human service professionals in the field of domestic disputes. The assertions of UDHR’s article 25 are important to domestic dispute professionals.
- The Politics of International Human Rights Law To uphold the reliability of the country’s immigration programs, the policy requires three categories of immigrants to be subjected to compulsory incarceration.
- Gender and Human Rights The concept of a Human of Rights introduced by Foucault in 1950s, and also referred to as humanity is traditionally defined as a “floating signifier” and is related directly to the idea of human rights.
- International Human Rights Law The civil and political rights preceded the origins of the economic, social, and cultural rights, and thus they are deemed as second-generation rights.
- The Human Rights Violation in the Republic of Korea The human rights situation under President Kim Jong-Un in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea has remained dire due to the government’s unwillingness to yield to the recommendations by the United Nations Human Rights Council’s […]
- Human Rights Issues in Guantanamo Bay It is expressed in the article that although the detainees are international criminals, the move by the US to detain them at the Guantanamo Bay is an abuse of international laws on the human rights.
- Human Rights and NGOs In the world today, there are numerous international human rights treaties which stipulate the obligations of states, and the rights of the citizens in these states and beyond2.
- Ethical Relativism in Human Rights To support this point of view, the nature of human society, the standardization of human rights and the progress of human rights will be analyzed.
- Faith, Justice, War – and Human Rights in the Realm of the Present-Day World Quran: The Most Ancient and Sacred Islamic Book as the Basis for the Laws on Human Rights Considering the Issue from a Different Perspective: The Fifteen Postulates Security of life and property: bi-al haqq and […]
- Human Rights in 21st Century: China Although there have been cases of human rights violations in China, recent events and efforts depict the country as working towards promoting individual rights.
- Human Rights Violations in Chile In order to confront past abuses and human rights violations, both civilian collaborators and the past military officers who took part in the violations have been taken through the prosecution process owing to the torture […]
- Torture and Human Rights However, the full state of affairs in Abu Ghraib prison came to the knowledge of the public when a report by the military into the first pictures leaked to an online magazine.
- The Ontario Human Rights Commission Application forms for job seekers and the process of interviewing applicants are usually subjected to all the mentioned elements of prejudice and discrimination.
- Three Generations of Human Rights Development The current legal recognition of human rights attainment originated from various declarations and the most pronounced included the Magna Carta declaration in the thirteenth century that curtailed the royal powers, the American declaration of independence […]
- Human Rights in Relation to Catholic Theology The church declared the acts of slavery as infamy and conjured to discourage slavery since it was dishonored God and destroyed the lived of many people.